Friday 18 February 2011

Livingstone's Medicine Chest

The Wellcome Collecttion, Science Museum, Natural History Museum, Royal Botanical Gardens and Horniman Museum are showing five objects that have never been displayed before.  Each museum writes its own interpretation of the objects meaning, and its interesting to see the different stories that resonate with their experts. 

 I saw Livingstone's Medicine Chest, which was full of old glass bottles of potions that were supposed to equip the explorer Algot Lange for his Amazonian expeditions. The booklet for this exhibit holds the stories from each of the museums above, with different interpretations on the anthropological importance, information on plant diversity, conservation and sustainable use, the science involved, how the object shaped our lives and much much more.  

I have been thinking about communication in my exhibition, with my artefacts, my journey, my research etc at my exhibition and this has really given me some more food for thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment