Friday 21 January 2011

Video Ethnography

I have decided to use this research technique for my project, so I am going to explain it a little in this entry, I feel I will gain some great insights to help me evolve my project further, the results are very visual and therefore suited to a final exhibition.

Ethnography is a way of studying human social phenomena and communities using fieldwork. It is a research method often used in social anthropology. It involves observing and participating whilst trying to retain objectivity. Ethnography allows you to develop close-up, intimate portraits of people’s experiences. I hope it will help me understand the social and cultural factors influencing people’s decisions and behaviours around crafting and community/group activities.

I have chosen to work with film as I have always thought it was a beautiful medium, it's powerful, emotional and inspiring. Storytelling is key to my project, I feel that the activities I am investigating allow generational stories to be handed down and video itself tells a wonderful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment