Saturday 1 January 2011

Survey

I have spent most of the Christmas and New Year trying to analyze the results from my survey, after over 250 people responded, the below are some key points.

Firstly the make up of those that completed the survey:

Sex
  • Female ____179_____71%
  • Male    _____72_____28%

Marital status
  • Engaged__________________10_______4%
  • Married___________________22_______8%
  • Divorced___________________2_______0%
  • Single in a relationship______104______41%
  • Single not in a relationship___112______44%

Children
  • Yes ______22 ______8%
  • No ______230 _____91%

The below are charts showing results of the questions in my survey:








Some of the answers to this question were:

I taught a friend to crochet. It felt good showing someone a skill which they can use over and over and also pass on to other friends. It was also nice doing something productive with a friend.
It was nice experience. People gets very curious. I like that I have answers.
Nice that I had taught them something they enjoyed.
It was nice to be able to impart knowledge and know that it's has been sucessful.
Lovely to know that I had passed something meaningful on so as they could enjoy it too!
Nice to pass on something you havent learnt, especially if I taught it to someone else quicker than I learnt it...
It was a rewarding feeling, I like sharing my ideas and skills with others
great! Nurturing somebody always makes me feel heartened.
Yes taught my children how to cook and sew, they loved it so it felt good & useful
really amazing feeling.
Very fullfilling. It feels as if you are passing something on that no one else could do.
A warm fuzzy feeling.
Excellent. the bonus: when you teach, you learn something in exchange.
It's great to teach something; often you learn something yourself in return.
Sharing humanity.






Some of the answers to this question were:

Helpful as you can review what is being said at your own pace.
Online was harder than face to face.
I watched a you tube video in how to craft a cake in the shape of a beehive for a cake design I wanted to bake for a friend and had no idea how to start. I didn't use the example on the video, but seeing somebody else do it gave me inspiration and a vision of how I wanted to do the cake design myself, and ultimately better than the cake I saw in the video which was hugely satisfying.
For cookery, I find it useful to see the consistencies and textures, step-by-step.
I learnt how to create a lightbox and how to home screen print,it was really helpful and there methods were very inspirational to me and my art.
Not as useful as having someone teaching me. An online tutorial recommends one way of achieving a result and does not cover different alternatives that may work better for you
Difficult, too long and too detailed. possibly.
I have learned many skills online including, knitting, sewing, and cooking. When an appropriate tutorial is easy to find and genuinely clear/informative it is an excellent way to learn.
I looked up a recipe for making mince pies, I had to look at several different recipes first to find one that seemed easiest.
Depending on the quality of video!
Not very useful
I often use the internet to find recipes for meals or cakes. I have also used it to find knitting and crochet patterns in the past.


How many times have you made flat-pack furniture? If so, did you enjoy this process?

A couple of interesting responses on this question:

Lego for grown-ups (I used to play with Lego a lot).
Hard but you have a sense of achievement once it's completed.
I would never attempt this alone, as the instructions are nearly always useless and I need a second brain to help try and make sense of all the bits and pieces. It is almost always a slow and painfully frustrating process.
I find it enjoyable and like seeing the end creation.
Not very enjoyable, found it quite stressful and confusing
I love making flat-pack furniture!
Yes - like sense of satisfaction when you complete it but can be frustrating if instructions are poor or parts missing
I really enjoyed the process of assembling flat packed furniture. It makes you more engaged with the object. It feels like you are somehow creating the furniture, not only reassembling it.


Do you think it would be more enjoyable with the help of friends and family?

Have you ever customised an item of clothing or furniture yourself? If so, did you enjoy this? If not, would you like to know how to customise or personalise items? 

I love customising and personalising things. Something basic can become something much more unique with minimal effort and maximimum imagination! :)
I regularly print my own tshirts i love wearing something original.
I like customizing things to make them feel more like my own. Especially if you haven't made or put a piece of furniture together yourself, it is nice to add things which represent your personality and personal input.
I would love to know how.  
The overall enjoyment depends on the success of the end result. If it turns out bad the enjoyment of the creative process is overshadowed by the failure.

Have you ever designed a piece of clothing, accessory or something for you home yourself? 

Do you recycle?  

Do you ever reuse items for a new and different use?

Have you ever used objects you no longer needed in a different way, or combined them with something else to make something new?  

Would you prefer your belongings to be:  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment