Wednesday 15 September 2010

Number One London

I have at last made it to Apsley House, the terribly grand 'Number One London'.

I have passed it so many times, and at last I have now actually been inside the home to the Duke of Wellington after his victory over Napoleon at Waterloo, the interior of the house has been maintained and restored to ensure it looks very similar to it would have done at that time.

There is an amazing fine art collection, as well as wonderful collection of silver, and more obscure items, like Napoleon's death mask! A free audio guide provides a history of the house, its previous occupants and the many wonderful paintings and sculptures. The spiral staircase is watched over by Napoleon as Mars the Peacemaker by Antonio Canova. I most enjoyed the childhood memories from the current Duke of Wellington, as well as the stories he had been told as a child about different members of the household. Such as Napoleon's fig leaf falling off during the war!



After work I met up with someone on my course, I felt reassured that others are struggling with their projects, but didnt really help me progress any further.

No comments:

Post a Comment