Thursday 30 September 2010

Make, Mend, Be Thrifty

I have had a wonderful month this month for inspiration.  I have gone to some amazing exhibitions and have seen and spoken to a huge variety of real crafts people.  I have also been involved in workshops, observed and spoken with a number of people who enjoy being involved in designing and making their own clothes, jewellery and general arts. 

My ideas on my project have jumped about a bit, I know that my main area of research is still craft and its affect on society.  I have been concentrating on combining the old and the new to create products that allow consumers to interact together in a way reminiscent of times gone by.  

 There's currently a real movement to reuse, recycle, make, mend and be thrifty.  From my online research using google insights and trends, there have been increased searches for how to sew, knit and make.  

People are also looking for classes to learn these traditional skills.  

Popular programs on television like the BBC's Mastercrafts and Channel 4's Kirsty's Homemade Home have returned for further series's after viewers started a variety of campaigns on social networking sites.  

My internet research led me to briefing consider my question to be more connected to the internet than I now feel it needs be.  

My research has show a real trend to spend time with friends and family, save money, customise, be creative, all things that are expected during periods of financial strife.  

I then broke my question down in the following way, to really think further about the key components:
The creative engineering lecture I went to also really helped me think about the obvious in a more coherent way.  All this led to a great thought suddenly in the middle of the night, which was basically a way of knitting or weaving using LED tape, making a fun, innovative, portable lighting kit for camping, garden parties, picnics or festivals.  

LED tape is virtually maintenance free, high energy efficiency, longer lifespan, waterproof, can be cut, eco-friendly, intensely bright, portable, can be joined.  

The kit would be for families and friends to make together as a fun, creative, unique and eco-friendly experience. 

We have been asked to complete a return from summer checklist and I there here is a best place as any to go through this.  

In no more than one sentence for each, outline three key achievements that have emerged as a result of your project research and testing over the past three months. 

I have learnt new skills
I have found a way to combine the new and the old
Created my first artefacts

How many times have you tested your artefact?

I have tested my artefact a few times now, with people in the crafting industry and also a lecturer of product design as well as a lecturer in the narrative environments.  

In no more than two sentences for each, describe any significant problems that you have encountered and explain ho you overcame them.  

I have struggled to come up with an idea, it is just a case of finding out about new materials and knowing a lost skill that could be used to create a new product.  

In one sentence define the most important thing that you have learnt so far.  

You can't force creativity

List your priorities for the next month

Second iteration of artefact
Thorough testing

How do these priorities inform your need to prepare for the Interim Artefact Exhibition to be held on 20 Ocotber?

I would like to have something substantial to show at the exhibition to make the most of all the possible feedback I can get from fellow students and course tutors.  I have a lot going on in the my head at the moment and although a lot of it is here in my blog I feel more needs to be recorded and I need to summarise and display everything at my exhibition to ensure the whole story so far is understood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment