Sunday 23 October 2011

Reflection since last workshop

There is so much to think about after everything encounter with a new group of young people.  Each individual is just that, and I find it extremely difficult to spread myself across the whole group to ensure everyone gets the most they can.  I feel that smaller groups would probably work better.  Not only are we discussing, thinking and developing quite complex thoughts and feelings, but the young people are also learning new skills.  I have been surprised by the lack of craft skills in this peer group.  Only one new how to sew, and most of them had not used a lot of the craft materials I had bought with me.  They each have such interesting stories and backgrounds, and with more one on one time I feel I could really help them reflect deeply on their identities and communities.  All exercises have worked extremely well, there was a good mix of fun and concentration, however, they all take so much longer than you think they will.  I also underestimated the effect of group dynamics.  As this group was one that has been meeting regularly for some time, I thought that would all be at ease with each other and feel confident to express themselves in front of the group.  Some of the girls are extremely confident, but others painfully shy, and in a large group it is difficult to look after everyone's needs.  I found it easy to develop a good rapport with the girls, and feel confident that they enjoy my company and are listening to what I am saying.  I would really enjoy working longer term with each group to develop each element of personal identity in more detail.  I would also like to develop my previous idea of music-based workshops, as music, singing and dancing are extremely important to this peer group, led by their love of celebrity and pop stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment