Monday 20 June 2011

Musical Theatre Workshops

I have been talking to a number of my neighbours teenage daughters, about their interests, and the kind of workshops that they would like to get involved in.  As I had thought they confirmed their main loves being music, dancing and singing.  I spoke to their dance teacher in their Secondary School and an actress about some ideas for workshops along these lines and what already exists.  There are numerous after school clubs that cater to these interests, although they do not use the skills to help young people understand their sense of self or reflect on themselves, their families and communities.  Also, these clubs are usually quite expensive, most of the young people in my area are not from families that can afford such a weekly expense.  I am now working on some improvisation ideas and exercises using drama therapy principles, working off a wonderful book I read some time ago: Impro: Improvisation and the Theatre, by Keith Johnstone.  The techniques in the book come from years of work encouraging spontaneity and originality in actors as well as in schools and colleges.  In fact, Johnstone has some wonderful stories about young people in schools and colleges and how he has worked with them tohelp them understand more about themselves and what they can achieve.  When I first read this book I was totally enthralled,  I would love to be a part of something that could help young people feel confident and inspired, and to get them engaged in vibrant activities together and with other members of their communities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment