Friday 20 May 2011

Ethics issues relating to Identity workshop

Today I have been discussing my identity workshop with a therapist.  Vanessa has worked for a number of years at MIND, the 'National Organisation for Mental Health', providing Psychotherapy and Counselling to their clients, training and workshop.  

I was slightly worried about the issues I will be discussing with the young people in my Identity workshop, a lot of these people will be vulnerable and will not have the support needed if the questions we discuss stir up some issues. Identity and sense of self is such a deep and emotional area, I wanted to discuss the issues with someone qualified.  

Vanessa was also worried about the possible affect this may have on young vulnerable people, who would not have the support to work through any issues the workshop could open up.  We discussed the idea of focusing more on people's passions, interests, and motivations.  A more positive approach to Identity perhaps.  

I have also been thinking about using the workshop with a group of young people who do have the support network around them, people who perhaps are already working through their issues in therapy.  I am investigating any appropriate groups in my area. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment