Tuesday 8 November 2011

Artefact iteration


My initial artifact looked at ways of combining modern technologies and traditional crafting techniques in order to explore how people and groups pass on their cultural identity through crafting, and whether technology can help to facilitate this process.  I initially created woven lights made from LED tape.  I quickly realised I was more interested in the interaction of people with products, and created kits that encouraged craft-based cross-generational interactions.  To this end, I started investigating crafting as a social network - I spent a lot of time at crafts groups and also investigated how people were searching for and learning new skills online. 

At this point I had 3 very different artifacts, all of which used traditional techniques in a modern setting. These included a chandelier kit for parties, BBQs, music festivals etc., a knitting based artefact, and an Olympic Games based artifact.  After testing all of these I found I was still more interested in finding out about the people using these kits and their relationship with crafting. What I wanted to explore was the demographic of the people and groups, and in turn how to encourage more people to get involved, pass on skills, and to really interact and explore their sense of self and community. Attempting to find a way for young people to get more involved with crafting and the community, and ways that this could help them explore their identity, became my prime focus.

My next artifact focused more on this: an activity based workshop for young people. My aim was to encourage encounters between teenagers and designer makers and local people of different generations.  These encounters led to extremely rich experiences and helped the young people develop a variety of new skills. Whilst volunteering at the local youth club, and testing these activities with the local teenagers, I came up with Graffi-tee – activities to encourage young people to investigate their sense of self through creative critical reflection. 

Through testing this I moved onto Identi-tee, a crafts-based workshop that I have been using with the Girl Guides in North West London since the Summer.  These workshops have been iterated a number of times, after feedback from youth workers and from the teenagers themselves post-workshop. 

The above artifacts have been tested in groups and with experts in their field.

Whilst carrying out testing on Identi-tee and Graffi-tee I noticed another way of engaging with the teenagers, which I hope to develop in 2012.  A number of the young people I worked with would have preferred activities that involved music, dance, and singing.  I have found a number of appropriate practitioners in my area, but have not as yet been able to fully design and test this workshop, although I have adapted a number of improvisation techniques from those I have come across in my research. 

I also spoke to the charity Depaul and the Willesden Hostel as whilst I have been researching teenage identity I became extremely interested in the identity issues that young homeless people suffer from.  I have prepared some exercises for a workshop with them in the New Year, which I will be doing with the support of the appropriate case workers from Depaul. 

Gatekeepers
Artifact 1
Research and Development team, Crafts Council
Sarah Hewett, Professional Development Manager, Craft Central
Tessa Damer, Studio Manager, Craft Central
Craft Central Interns
Helen Batley, Minnie Bats Design
iGuzzini, lighting designer
The Make Lounge team
Jane Friend, Craft Residencies Coordinator, Farnham Maltings
Artifact 2
Marsha Oza, jewellery designer, community projects director
Chloe Haywood, Milliner, experienced in carrying out workshops with adults and children
Karen Hobbs, Costume Designer, experienced in carrying out workshops with young people
Josie Boyce, writer, illustrator, art director
Jodie May, Crafts enthusiast, new mum
Natalie Wiggins, crafts enthusiast
Nicola Barron, Founder, Homemade London
Jane Gois, Founder, Tea & Crafting
Claire Heafford, Founder, The Papered Parlour
Jackie Woosnam-Savage, Founder, Create Boutique
Artifact 3
Graffi-tee:
Keith Lunn, Director of OK Club, Kilburn
Stuart, Youth Worker, OK Club Kilburn
Youth workers at the Granville Plus Arts Centre
Dan Thompson, Empty Shops Network, has carried out an arts programme in my area
Sharyn Farnan, MakeSpace, co-design with commmunities to transfrom empty spaces
Over 30 teenagers at the OK Club from ages 12-22.
10 teenagers from the American School of Dubai. 
Held an identity brainstorm with 5 adult respondents. 
Artifact 4
Identi-tee:
Girl Guide leader, Sandra Kitchen
Brown Owl, Patricia Rose
Vanessa Jarrett, Therapist, regarding identity issues and young people
Over 15 Girl guides from ages 12-17. 
Ami Ghadia, Youth Worker, Clapham, currently completing an Art Therapy Masters.
Musical Arts Workshop:
Viola Newbury, Actor and Educational Performer
Simon Porter, Performance Poet
Identity and Homelessness:
Depaul UK
Willesden Hostel, Steps House and Crash Pad

No comments:

Post a Comment